Knowledge is power, but in Canada that knowledge usually comes with a heavy price tag! Here are some tips for gaining the same knowledge for free, and in some cases even get paid for it! This is a must read for a struggling early entrepreneur or those who just generally seek knowledge.
I work in the technology industry, and what a fickle industry she is! One can excel simply by proving themselves, without any formal degrees or certifications. In such industries like this, a self employed person could easily also be self educated.
Below I will list the avenues of free and paid education I have experienced first hand:
- The most common I would have to say is the internet, yahoo and wikipedia.
- Most colleges and universities will allow walk in guests to listen in on some lectures. This does not work with private schools.
- The government will put on free programs from time to time. I took the same class two years in a row because of the networking it provided, which lead to paid jobs.
- Volunteer for an established individual or company that can mentor you. They will give you more one on one training than most schools could.
- This one is a little sneaky, but it will pay off. Seek out a job at a large department store relative to your work, for me that was Futureshop. The corporation will pay you to go through their 1-4 week training, I decided to go with a sales program. Once the training is finished, quit and get paid.
This 5 simple tips are how I got started… however yes I did pay for a 3 year multimedia certification as well.